Monday, September 7, 2009

What the world needs now...

How do you feel about the word LOVE? How often do you use it? In what situations?

I have often said that “LOVE is a 4-letter word.” I know, some of you are saying, “duh! L, O, V, E thats 4-letters.” But, like most things, I do not mean it that way. I'm talking about those “other” 4-letter words. You know, the ones you wouldn't say in front of your mom. I have been often afraid of this word for a couple of reasons. One, its power. If used incorrectly, it could be devastating. Two, interpretation. How I am using it may not be how its interpreted by who I said it to.

For me, the second is far scarier than the first. I made a promise to myself (and someone else at the time) that I would never use LOVE to hurt anyone. I know that may sound strange but I have seen first hand, people using what they called “LOVE” to hurt others. I also know many stories. That being said. How do I use this term?

This was a good summer for me. This summer I was able to get a big skeleton out of my closet. Don't get me wrong its still filled up to the brim with the ghosts of my past and their skeletons. I don't even know why it happened. It truly was a “God thing.” It was two people, who were spiritually available and open with each other, helping each other through a tough time. Man, I really miss that. I LOVE that and I LOVE her for it. (yes it was a her, please stop gasping now.) Now that you know it was a female, what form of LOVE do you think I was using? Do I romantically LOVE her? Is it brother-sister LOVE? Maybe it isn't LOVE at all, maybe its lust? That is a thing commonly mistook for LOVE. What about spiritual LOVE?

Actually, I think it was a combination of brother-sister and spiritual LOVE. Sure it could evolve into some of the others but that's not what I'm talking about. At least, not this time. There were several times during our conversation where it would have been more-than-appropriate to utter those words. But did I do it? No. Why? I know how I was using it but what about her? Does she know that I LOVE her as a sister and a spiritual being? Maybe. Is it more likely what she thinks of the romantic meaning? Yes. Could that have damaged our relationship? Absolutely but it could have done something far worse or worse in my mind, damaged the trust. That is so much more difficult to repair.

So why didn't I use it? I'm a coward. There I said it, straight up. I'm a coward. (If you're reading this, this is a different coward situation than I wanted to talk to you about.) I'm scared of that word. I'm scared of what it can mean and how it can be taken. I'm scared of where it goes. Once its “in the wild,” I don't have control of it anymore. But you can't keep a good man down.

That's why I'm wanting to change this. That's why I'm writing this; I have considered what I might have found, and I think I have a good thing now but I want better. Better for myself and better for those around me. So, help me. How do you do that? Join me. Lets take LOVE back. I'm not saying use it so it loses its meaning. LOVE should retain its power, just become easier to say. How do we do that? Use it. Do you have LOVE for someone? Tell them. Do you have LOVE for me? Tell me. It will be easier for me to reciprocate. You can even define it if you like. I don't want any misunderstandings (See? I'm still afraid of it.) Let LOVE in, then let it out again. Share the LOVE.

So, if she's reading this right now, I LOVE you. You truly are an amazing person. For anyone else reading this now, I LOVE you too. What do I mean by that? Good question. I guess you'll just have to wonder or you could just ask. But remember, knowing is half the hassle.

In case you missed it before; I LOVE you.

By the way, I used LOVE 24 times in this post.

Song References:
Boys Like Girls - Hero /Heroine
Ludo - Topeka

Title Reference:
Jackie DeShannon - What the World Needs Now Is Love

3 comments:

  1. I love you too. And I mean that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you too, Cap'n. In all the ways except Romantic. And I definitely don't lust after you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too! Pick me! I love you too! =) Good post.

    ReplyDelete